Coordination (Coordinator Role)
The internship coordinator serves as the university’s liaison. Communication with many individuals is necessary to coordinate various aspects of the program. Coordination duties include:
- Contact businesses to select appropriate internship sites.
- Assist in determining appropriate placements.
- Tour the operations prior to placement to make sure it is appropriate for a student.
- Meet with other work-based learning teachers/supervisors to develop a coordinated approach when contacting business/industry and community representatives.
- Orient new site supervisors/mentors.
- Prepare training agreements.
- Develop training plans.
- Visit internship sites to observe interns and to confer with site supervisors/mentors concerning intern performance and progress.
- Communicate with interns, site supervisors/mentors, and parents/guardians as needed.
- Resolve any problems that arise between the interns and the site supervisors/ mentors.
- Adjust intern placements as needed.
- Ensure that site supervisors/mentors provide consistent, effective guidance and supervision in accordance with interns’ training plans.