What is an Internship?
An internship is an experience in which you learn by taking on a responsible role as a worker in an organization and by observing and reflecting on what happens while you are there. Internships are many things to many people. They can range from seeing a Congressional office in action to working with teen-age runaways, working in a hospital, or even behind the scenes at a television station. Since you select your internship, the possibilities are endless.
Why should I do an internship? What can it do for me? (Significance of Internship)
Test the waters. An internship is a way to try out a possible career in order to pinpoint your area of interest.
Gain employment experience. It is a chance to develop and extend your skills. Students with internship experience are more competitive in the job hunt. It has become a “must” in today’s job market to demonstrate interest and experience in your chosen field.
Establish contacts. Through an internship, you will have the opportunity to make valuable career contacts, network with professionals in your field, and possibly develop a mentor relationship.
Apply your knowledge. An internship experience can add more meaning to academic study by giving you the chance to integrate theories learned in class with “real life” situations.
Take charge of your education. An internship is a way for you to design your own curriculum. You decide what you would like to learn, how you intend to learn it, and how you will synthesize your experience with your academic knowledge.
Financial rewards. Although most internship is unpaid, some employers may offer some financial compensation for your work. Internships need not be paid in order to be of value.
Significance of Internship Office
- Internship Office or INTO signifies meaningful educational and work-life experiences to the students of Lyceum of the Philippines University. Internship Office offers specific advantages to the student, university, industry and the community.
- Significance to the Student
- Internship Office or INTO can contributes to student an understanding of how a business/professional organization operates.
- Internship office greatly increases the chances of the student to gain a full time employment after graduation.
- Through internship office together with their respective departments student are ensure that they will be able to further develop the knowledge and skills in their chosen field by consistent monitoring.
- Internship office ensures to the student that they will have the practical skills necessary to excel in the job market.
- With internship office students are provided with experience that will make them stronger, their work ethic will increase and they will be confident in their abilities.
- Internship Office also allows students to learn about time management, discipline and effective communication skills.
- While students are having their internship, student learns how to excel in a large number of different organizations and industries.
Significance to the Community
- Provides the opportunity to develop good community-university relationships.
- Allows site supervisors/mentors to share their expertise and serve as positive role models for young adults. • Encourages young adults to stay in their local community.
- Brings recognition to the community for partnering with a university.
- Allows better community understanding of an organization’s structure and sense of social responsibility.
Significance to the Industry
- Enables businesses/industries/organizations to grow future workforce.
- Affords businesses/industries/organizations the opportunity to give feedback to the program curriculum so that skills/knowledge that are important in the field may be taught.
- Provides opportunity to reduce training or orientation costs if the businesses/ industries/organizations hire students after the internship period ends.
- Contributes to opportunity for not-for-profit businesses/industries/organizations to utilize partnership with universities towards Community Benefit Report and maintenance of not-for-profit status.
Significance to the University
- Broadens the curriculum through the utilization of many community resources.
- Provides information for university personnel to meet the needs of a changing society.
- Fosters provisions for individual differences in interests and abilities of students.
- Establishes a cooperative working relationship between the university and the community.
- Demonstrates the concept that education is indeed a community-wide partnership.
- Provides interaction with professionals outside the university environment who are involved in the training of young people.
- Promotes assessment by both the internship coordinator and site supervisor/ mentor for better guidance towards realistic career goals.
- Enhances public relations within the university community through the uniqueness and diversity of the internship program.
General Responsibilities of Internship Office
- Partnering and seeking of partner industries.
- Screening of the student according to the qualification set by the Industry partners.
- Monitoring of the Interns.
- Initiates in the evaluation of the interns and gathering of other relevant documents of the student.
Specific Function of Internship Office
- To look for possible tie-up establishments based on college requirements for internship.
- To help identify relevant directions for the university’s internship programs based on up-to-date feedback from industry partners.
- To maintain harmonious relationship with industry partners committed on supporting the institutions internship programs in the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- To deploy students on the best establishments or companies for their internship.
- To assure that the students are experiencing meaningful and quality learning during their practical training and to prepare them to become competent workers and professionals here and abroad.
- To monitor students while undergoing practical training.
- To test the level of competency in their respective area of expertise.